Money to help with cost of living pressures.

Our newham money emergency support 2

Our Newham Money Hardship support scheme

Hardship support scheme

Many people are struggling as the cost of living rapidly increases. If you find yourself struggling with energy, food costs, facing hardship, or emergency you can apply for Our Newham Money Hardship Support.


Who can get Hardship support?

You can apply for Our Newham Hardship Support if you:

  • Are aged over 16 and the person liable for the household bills.
  • Are a Newham resident or have been place out of Borough by Newham temporary accommodation.
  • Have less than £1000 in savings on the day before the last main payment (Universal Credit/wages).
  • Are in receipt* of a qualifying benefit such as:
    • Income Support
    • Universal Credit
    • Income Related
    • Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit

Our Newham Money Hardship Support Scheme is discretionary, which means that, unlike other benefits you do not have a legal right to get help. If you are in severe need but you think you don’t meet the criteria you should still contact us.


What type of support can be provided?

  •  Food
  •  Energy
  •  Other items can be considered in exceptional circumstances.

The support can be provided in a number of different ways including supermarket vouchers and BACs payments depending on the support required.

All applications will be treated individually on their own merits. The award is discretionary and based on funds available to the Council.

Currently the Our Newham Money Hardship Support Scheme incorporates the Governments Household Support Fund.


The support allows residents who face a variety of challenges, time to find alternative solutions to shortfalls in income and help with the cost of living on a short term and temporary basis and it should not be seen as a permanent solution.


Household Support Fund - April 2023- March 2024

The Household Support Scheme is intended to alleviate hardship and support those most in need that have been affected by the significant rise in cost of living and are suffering financial hardship.

The Household Support Fund is funded entirely by the Government via the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Hardship Support Scheme is fully funded by the Council.

The Household Support Fund is designed to provide short-term urgent financial help to Newham residents who are struggling to afford household essentials such as buying food and paying for prepayment meter energy bills.


Funding provided from the Department for work and Pensions


You can also find a list of additional household help and support here


Local and national support

You can also find a list of additional household help and support here

Cost of living website – The government is offering help for households. See what cost of living support you could be eligible for.

Cost of living payment  – GOV.UK guidance on getting an extra payment to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits.

GOV.UK Benefits calculators

GOV.UK Pension Credit calculator

Understanding Universal Credit


Your questions answered

  • Can I get help if I go to work or if I am retired, or if I do not work at all?

Yes, provided you can show that you are struggling to pay for essentials.

  • Will a Household Support Fund affect my benefits?

No, it will not affect your benefits.

  • What happens next?

The application will be reviewed by Our Newham Money who will confirm the outcome of your application award where applicable.

  • What if I can’t apply through the website?

The quickest way for you to apply is online

If you don’t have online access and need support to apply – Please phone Our Newham Money 020 8430 2041 and an adviser will help you make an application.

  • Fraudulent Claims

Where Newham Council suspects that fraud may have occurred, it will investigate the matter as appropriate, this may lead to criminal proceedings.

If a claimant attempts to claim an award from the Household Support Fund by making a false declaration or providing false evidence they may have committed an office under the Theft Act 1968.

  • Immigration status

Our Newham Money cannot provide any advice on how an award may affect your status in the UK or any support you are receiving from the Home Office, please seek independent advice before making an application.

How we use your personal information?

Information which you provide or which we obtain through your dealings with us will be held securely with Our Newham Money. We will use your information as applicable and this may include:

  • Keep in contact with you and provide you with the best service you deserve
  • Our Newham Money may pass your personal data to Newham Council other departments, internal agencies & systems, London Community Credit Union (LCCU)
  • Debt counselling or other specialist service providers if needed
  • The Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs
  • Data Processors who act on our behalf
  • We retain personal information for as long as is necessary
  • To find out more about how we process personal information, please read our Privacy & Data Processing Notice

By submitting a loan application, you are giving your consent/agreeing to your personal information being used in this way.